How many days until Thanksgiving? Thirty! But let’s not panic. Let’s talk about how not to get caught up in the hype of the holidays, ok?
Thanks for joining me for Sunday morning coffee. Today I am sharing my weekly thoughts about entertaining, decor, crafts, recipes, and staying calm as we get ready for the holidays!
A Little Bit About Me
How is that possible?
And to make it worse, there are only sixty days until Christmas.
The holidays have always been one of my favorite times of the year. Once Halloween has come and gone and the grocery shelves are replaced by pumpkin pie fixings and boxes of bread cubes for stuffing, my excitement begins to build. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. In our family, this holiday is to celebrate the people around our table with gratitude and thanks and to share an incredible meal.
I love the decorating, the cooking, the hustle and bustle of the holidays. Sometimes, however, we are moving so quickly towards a goal, that the process of meeting the goal is clouded and sometimes even lost. This year, I am going to slow down and savor each and every aspect of the holidays and not get caught up in the hype. I am very grateful that all of my children will be home for Thanksgiving this year.
I mentioned yesterday on my Instagram about some heart surgery I have scheduled in about a week. It came up suddenly and kind of got me thinking that I need to slow down and enjoy every day even more than I have. To be honest, had this not come up, would I have been so determined to slow down and enjoy the holidays?
Who knows! But probably not.
I think we have all come to a place where gratitude is something that we think about more than ever before and perhaps differently than we have in the past. It’s about gratitude for those around us. Gratitude for the ability to gather in whatever form that may be, in person or virtually. Gratitude for the big and the small things in our lives. And gratitude for the things that we may have overlooked or taken for granted in the past.
I am going to be purposeful in my planning these next two months. As I prepare for the holidays, I intend first and foremost to enjoy the process. I plan to take extra time to enjoy cooking every meal and I am going to slow down when setting the table to appreciate the beauty that unfolds as the table comes together. I plan to enjoy the process of arranging flowers, beginning with selecting which flowers to purchase at the market and determining the layers of texture and color the different flowers and greenery will create.
My goal this year is to think about my family and friends and how to thoughtfully create a holiday experience that makes everyone feel loved, honored, and appreciated. To gather together and celebrate each other. To enjoy the food and conversation and all that we mean to each other.
We are planning to take our family holiday photo over the Thanksgiving weekend. The annual holiday photo is honestly one of my favorite things that we do together. When our family gets together, my heart swells to see how much my boys and daughter-in-law truly love and enjoy each other. Capturing how much we care about each other always finds its way into a photo or two amongst handfuls of silly and outtake photos.
If you look closely, you can see many of our Christmas picture photos in our upstairs hallway.
Here are some close-ups of old family photos!
Looking back at these photos of our family over the years reminds me again to slow down and enjoy. To take in every moment for what it is, rather than planning the next. To be present in the present because it really does go by so quickly.
If you don’t slow down, then look what happens! They grow up.
But don’t worry. Having grown kids and a daughter-in-law is just so much fun!
If you are enjoying my blog, you can sign up to receive my blog updates here. .
Some of My Favorite Thanksgiving Decor
Outdoor Thanksgiving Decor
With family and friends coming to our home for Thanksgiving and Friendsgiving, I like to update our porch with outdoor Thanksgiving decor. Our covered porch has a fireplace and heaters in the ceiling, so it’s the perfect spot to spend afternoons having cocktails and appetizers with the heaters on. After dinner, we light candles and wrap up in blankets with hot toddies and dessert in hand. We curl up in front of the fire and talk for hours and hours into the wee hours of the night.
Looking for new outdoor Thanksgiving decor? I have curated some of my favorites for you below. Just click the photos to check out the items.
Shop This Look
Reflections on the Week
Last week, I made some decisions about plates, arranged flowers faux and real, made some yummy recipes, made a beautiful table runner, and shared what my Thanksgiving table will look like. Click on any of the titles below to read more.
Good Things From Martha
I just received my November issue of Martha Stewart Living and can’t wait to immerse myself in this gorgeous issue!
What’s Ahead for the Week
I am going to try to complete two weeks of content next week so that I can take some time off after my surgery. Next week is going to be amazing as I have some really fun ideas to share! Have you ever had Purple Sweet Potato Pie? It’s just so good! I am also making a new fall wreath and some napkin rings, which will be a first! Next, I am making some fall cookies, a really cool idea for chargers, and a Thanksgiving food checklist. This will be a great tool we can all use to plan our Thanksgiving dinners!
Catch up on Sunday Morning Coffee
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 40 – Team Wellness
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 39 – Why Do I Love Crafts?
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 38 – Is it Time to Focus on The End of the Year?
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 37 – Classic Antiques or Unique Vintage?
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 36 – How Well Do You Know Me?
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 35 – Happy Anniversary
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 34 – Happy Labor Day Weekend
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 33 – Fall Flower Arrangements
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 32 – Happy Fall
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 31 – When the Seasons Change
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 30 – Late Summer Dinner on the Beach
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 29 – Repurposed Decor
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 28 – Summer Fun Outdoor Partyy
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 27 – How to Use a Soft Summer Color Palette
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 26 – Endelss Summer Nights
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 25 – Summer Decor Finds
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 24 – Summer Decor Tips
- Sunday morning Coffee Volume 23 – Beach House Renovations
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 22 – Happy Sunday Morning Coffee
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 21 – Easy Home Ideas
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 20 – Thirty Summer Days
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 19 – Summer is Almost Here
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 18 – The Carriage House is Done
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 17 – Sharing Joy and Thankfulness
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 16 – Summer Entertaining
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 15 – Projects at Home
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 14 – How to Get Ready for Summer Days
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 13 – The Best DIY Projects
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 12 – Just Do It Yourself
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 11 – Creative Inspiration
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 10 – Inside the Life of a Blogger
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 9 – Live Your Best Life
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 8 – Living Green
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 7 – Why I Love to Entertain
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 6 – February is All About Living Beautifully
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 5 – Our Beach House in Ventura, CA
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 4 – The Story of My 100 Year Old Home
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 3 – I Think I Might Be Martha’s Biggest Fan
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 2 – A Tribute to My Mom
- Sunday Morning Coffee Volume 1 – How Chip and Joanna Influenced My Life
Pin the image below to your entertaining boards on Pinterest (just click the Pin button in the top left corner). You can also follow along with me on Pinterest!