If you read my blog post the other day then you will understand that I am trying to come up with fun ways to really make this Thanksgiving special. My first idea was to add Thanksgiving-themed cocktails to the menu. And today I have come up with a way to make my pies look amazing! I made a Pumpkin Pie with a Stenciled Crust.
And I am using my Cricut cutting machine. I know what you are thinking! Huh? How can a Cricut machine make my pies amazing?
It’s very easy. I made a stencil to use to cut out my top pie crust. Please note, if you don’t have a Cricut, you can buy stencils at Williams & Sonoma and other cooking stores.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
Reusable stencil material (you can also buy a stencil from Williams & Sonoma)
I found a vintage Moroccan floor tile on the internet and used it as my design. I deleted a few parts of it to make it more round. Then I cut a reusable stencil on my Cricut cutting machine.
The most important step is to place your pie crust on top of parchment paper before you begin. This will make it so much easier to place the cut stenciled crust on top of your pie. Next, place the plastic stencil on top of the pie crust and with a small paring knife, cut out the edges.
This was so much easier than I thought it would be. It only took a few minutes!
Then I removed the stencil.
Of course, the next step is to make a pumpkin pie. I am going to share with you my favorite pumpkin pie recipe.
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree1
- (14 ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- i box double pie crust
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, spices and salt in medium bowl until smooth. Pour into crust.
- Cover with stenciled top crust.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking 35 to 40 minutes (or until knife inserted comes out clean).
- Garnish with whipped cream.
- Cover edges of crust with foil to keep from burning.
Bake according to the instructions and that’s it! You will have a beautiful pumpkin pie! This also works for berry and apple pie.