Looking for fun, easy, and affordable May Day basket ideas? May Day baskets are a fun and easy way to show your loved ones how much you care.
All you need is a little bit of creativity, some common household items, and maybe a trip to your nearest craft store. Let’s take a look at how to make these adorable baskets!
Easy May Basket Ideas
When I was about eight years old every May Day I would make a small basket for my mom out of construction paper and fill it with flowers from our garden. As I was leaving for school I would hang the basket on the front door, ring the doorbell, and run away as fast as I could.
I have no idea where this tradition started (did I learn about it at girl scouts?) but I did it for years.
This year I thought it might be fun to hang a few May Baskets in our home, in honor of my mother. I miss her so much but I thought this might be a really nice way to honor her memory.
I am sharing my May Basket Ideas which involve making one style of May Basket and then filling the basket with different flowers.
I used this same idea to make my May Day baskets.
DIY May Day Basket Ideas
What You Need to Make a May Basket
- cotton piping (or any type of rope)
- styrofoam cone
- cellophane wrap (you need cellophane because the glue gun won’t melt it)
- glue gun and glue sticks
I loved making this May Day Basket because I already owned all of the supplies.
Some day I will share my craft storage room. It is so full! (And needs a bit of organization.)
Step-by-Step Instructions to Make a May Basket
- one – The styrofoam cone I used did not have a point so I made one out of cardstock. *Please note, now that I am done with my basket I would omit this step. I think the basket would be cute with a flat bottom.
- two – Lay the cone over styrofoam and wrap the cone in cellophane. The cellophane will be the inside liner of the basket.
- three – Secure the cellophane with tape. Do not cover over the top but make sure the cellophane is even across the top edge.
- four – Using the hot glue gun, add glue to the bottom of the cone, and start wrapping the piping around the bottom of the styrofoam cone.
- five/six – Continue adding the hot glue and the piping.
- seven – As you continue to the top of the cone, try to straighten out the piping as you add the glue.
- eight – Continue to about two rows short of reaching the end.
- nine – Now it is time to add the handles. I used pins to hold the piping in place (after I added the glue).
- ten – Use something round (I used the packing tape) and wrap the piping around the circle to create one handle.
- eleven – Pin the second side of the handle to the cone and continue around and add the second handle.
- twelve – Remove the styrofoam from the basket. I cut a bit off around the edge (with scissors) of the styrofoam which made it very easy to grip and pull right out! Cut any extra cellophane from the top edge if necessary.
Look how adorable this basket is. Isn’t it perfect for May Day?
If you are enjoying my blog, you can sign up to receive my blog updates here. .
More May Basket Ideas
I made a few baskets and hung them on lots of doors in our home. I love the faux poppies on the back porch door.
The faux pink Calliopsis look amazing in this basket hung on our front door.
These faux roses are probably my favorite faux flowers of all time. They have a few petals that look wilted, so the flowers look so real! Aren’t they magnificent?
May Day Baskets are fun and easy to make. Everything I used to make mine is below.
Watch My Amazon Live
Click here to watch any of the Live Broadcasts on my feed. (anytime after 11:00 am PST). All of my Amazon Live Broadcasts are recorded.
Pin the image below to your boards on Pinterest (just click the Pin button in the top left corner). You can also follow along with me on Pinterest!