My favorite recipe is the kind that looks really hard but is actually really easy. Today I am sharing a Chicken stir fry recipe that I threw together for dinner the other night. It was delicious. And easy.
You know that familiar scene where you enter your kitchen and you have no idea what to cook for dinner?
Sadly, it happens to me quite frequently. And usually, the men in my life are circling the island, looking for food.
In my defense, I usually have already texted all of my boys “What would you like for dinner” at least a gazillion times. And they all know I am asking that question because I have no idea what to make!
Do I get a response? No.
This past weekend we had a very fun golf tournament inside (and outside) our home. It took a lot longer to finish than we expected but the boys had a great time. My daughter in law Charlotte and I designed the course and we think we were quite creative with the nine holes we designed.
Anyway, after the “golf tournament,” I raced into the kitchen knowing I needed to throw dinner together in thirty minutes or less. I never panic when this happens. Because this has been more the norm, rather than the exception, in our home during the quarantine.
I opened the refrigerator to survey my options and quickly assessed that we had everything I needed to make chicken stir fry.
So I pulled out my wok and got to work.
Sometimes when I am cooking I remember to videotape and share on stories. But that usually means that I forget to take a lot of still photos. Which sadly was the case with this blog post.
My Chicken Stir fry recipe is easy to make. And just so you know, it tasted amazing.
And it was cooked in thirty minutes, just as I promised.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 1/4 cup of honey (or maple syrup)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- I package of broccoli, cut into small pieces
- olive oil
- two small onions, sliced
- Five Chicken breasts thinly sliced (or flank steak)
- sesame seeds
1. In a bowl, whisk together corn starch and water. Add remaining ingredients (chicken broth, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, honey, red pepper flakes, ginger, and garlic) and whisk to combine. Set aside.
2. Add two to three tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet or wok and heat over medium-high heat.
3. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from skillet.
4. In another skillet, add two to three tablespoons of olive oil and add the onions. Once the onions are almost cooked, add the broccoli.
5. Reduce heat to medium and cook just until the vegetables are crisp and tender.
6. Pour the onions and broccoli to the skillet with the chicken and stir to combine. Pour the stir fry sauce over the chicken and vegetables and stir gently to combine.
8. Bring to a boil for one minute. Simmer for five minutes.
9. Serve over rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Pin the image below to your Recipe or Chicken Recipe Board on Pinterest (just click the Pin button in the top left corner). You can also follow along with me on Pinterest!