I posted this photo on my Instagram today of some painted canvas bags that I made. They are really bright and fun and can be used for so many things! I use them for makeup, receipts, lipstick and lots of other things. Today I thought it would be fun to share the DIY with you as to how I made these bags.
What You Need to Make Canvas Bags
Canvas or drop cloth fabric
Lining fabric (I used batik fabric from JOANN)
Sea glass (with hole) and jewelry wire (optional)
How to Make a Painted Canvas Bag
- Cut or tear your fabric one inch larger than the desired bag size. Cut two out of the canvas and two out of the lining fabric.
- Pour paint on to a paper plate and gently roll the paint roller to cover evenly with paint. Tape the stencil on to the fabric and lightly roll the paint over the stencil.
3. To dry and seal the fabric paint, iron the painted pieces of fabric. Next, pin the top edge of the bag, right sides together. Measure your zipper and sew in one inch from each edge. See below. Next, baste the remaining center area using a long stitch on your machine. This will hold the fabric together and yet allow you to take out the basting thread once the zipper is sewn in.
4. Open up the basted seam and pin the zipper in the seam.
5. Sew the zipper into the bag.
This is what your bag should look like.
8. Pin the lining together, right sides together, and press down the top seam (as pictured.) Sew three sides together, not including the top. Slip the lining inside the bag, just make sure the right side is facing out.
Sew the lining in the bag by tracing your precious seam for the zipper.
You can add the sea glass droplet if you want! And that’s it!
I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love these bags. I cannot wait to try some other colors.