I am so excited to share with you my latest DIY fall blanket project. I made this “finger-knitted” fall blanket and it is the best.
There is one thing about this blanket that you won’t believe. I made this fall blanket without knitting needles! Wait. What? That’s because I used looped yarn. The yarn is soft and squishy and the perfect material for a comfy fall blanket.
A New DIY Fall Craft
How incredible is this off-white Soft Chunky Chenille Blanket with Pom Poms that I made? The yarn is called Bernat Alize Blanket-EZ Yarn. It is already looped and all you do is put the loops inside the loops to knit a blanket. You do not use any needles! It is the softest yarn I have ever worked with and I can’t even begin to tell you how much I loved making this! I added pom poms to the blanket using a Pom Pom Maker Large, it was so easy!
I went shopping for a fall craft and found some of my favorite chunky chenille yarn called Bernat Alize Blanket-EZ Yarn (you can find it here) that allows you to knit a blanket without using knitting needles. You can make the blanket so quickly it is amazing.
I worked on the blanket on and off for a week and it came out better than I expected. If you worked on it straight you could probably make it in a day. It is the coziest blanket ever!
On this blog, I may sometimes use affiliate links, which means a small commission is earned if you make a purchase via the link. The price you pay will be the same whether you use the affiliate link or go directly to the vendor’s website using a non-affiliate link.
How to Make the Finger Knitted Pom Pom DIY Fall Blanket
Fall Blanket DIY
I took some photos and made this tutorial so that you can see how easy this is to make. I also have a video on my Instagram and that should help you see how easy this is to make!
- one – Determine the width of your blanket and measure the length of your first row of yarn. My blanket measured seven feet by seven feet which required ten balls of yarn. You might want to make one smaller!
- two – It’s easiest to make this on a flat surface. Once you have measured your width, pull the yarn above the row and lay it flat in the other direction.
- three – Pull the top loop through the bottom loop. Make sure not to twist the yarn. This is all you need to do to knit the blanket!
- four – Continue each row. Be sure to make sure you don’t skip any loops. I flipped the blanket over and checked the back for slipped loops about every few feet just to be sure. I also liked to lay out the yarn so the loops were flat each time I started a new row.
- five – Continue looping until you reach your desired size.
- six – To bind off, place the already knitted loop that is closest to the edge through the loop next to it. Continue all the way across.
- seven -To make the pom poms select the desired size of the pom pom maker.
- eight – Open up the pom pom maker.
- nine – Open the pompom maker and wrap the yarn around the base three times on each side.
- ten – Close the base and repeat on the other side. Close the pom pom maker completely.
- eleven – Cut the yarn along the outside of the round base. You should follow the ridge with your scissors to get an even cut.
- twelve – Using another piece of yarn, loop it through the cut area and pull it tight and knot it. Be sure to leave a long enough strand on each side to tie the pom pom to your blanket. Open up the pompom maker and pull out the pompom.
- thirteen – With a pair of sharp scissors cut the threads to ensure they are all even. If you want a more full pom pom than the ones I made, just wrap the yarn more than three times on each side. I measured the ends and determined the distance I needed to have the pom poms spaced equally. Then I tied them. I used ten pom poms on each end of the blanket.
Doesn’t my blanket look awesome?
Not crafty? No problem. I found some wonderfully yummy fall blankets that are already made!
I loved making the blanket so much, I also made this tree skirt from Bernat yarn! You can find all of the details about how to make it here.
Watch My Amazon Live
Click here to watch any of my Amazon Live shows. All shows are recorded.
Today we are recording a very fun Amazon Live titled Easy Craft Ideas for Fall. Every item also works for any gift you want to send a friend, or a child not living at home too!
If you don’t have time for a DIY, check out these fabulous fall items you can buy.
Pin the image below to your fall decor and DIY boards on Pinterest (just click the Pin button in the top left corner). You can also follow along with me on Pinterest!