The Best Lemon Breakfast Bread
My girlfriends are coming over this morning for coffee and to catch up so I made the best lemon breakfast bread.
It has a raspberry swirl and is amazing. The six breakfast bread recipes in this post are also perfect for a Mother’s Day Brunch.
I have been traveling for the past week and I miss my girlfriends! I invited them to drop by this morning to catch up! Coffee is brewing and my lemon breakfast bread is in the oven.
I included six of my breakfast bread recipes here which are also perfect for Mother’s Day. Just print one out and hand it to your spouse or kids for you to enjoy on Mother’s Day morning!
My Favorite Lemon Breakfast Bread
Spontaneous get togethers are a lot of fun. I am so crazed during the week with this job that I am really trying to relax and enjoy my weekends more with friends and family.
My girlfriends and I are going to walk in the morning and then end up here for some time to catch up and enjoy some delicious lemon bread.
Did I mention that my lemon breakfast bread is gluten-free and dairy free?
Of all of the breads and muffins that I make, I think I like lemon the best. We have three Meyer lemon trees and if you haven’t tasted a Meyer lemon then you have got to find one! Meyer lemons are sweet and have almost a combined flavor of orange and lemon. While there are many types of lemons, I truly believe Meyer lemons are the best by a ton!
If you ever see a Meyer lemon tree for sale buy it! Ours blooms on and off all year round and I use them in everything (including my vodka tonics!)
If you are enjoying my blog, you can sign up to receive my blog updates here. .
How to Make Lemon Breakfast Bread
This bread is super easy to make and it has a surprise. Once the bread cooks for twenty minutes, you pull it out of the oven and cut a swirl, and add homemade raspberry sauce. It is so good! The bread also has a lemon glaze for a tiny sweet flavoring.
Aren’t these pink bowls the best? They are my favorite!
The batter almost looked good enough to eat. But I did wait to taste it until after it came out of the oven.
Isn’t this baking pan the best? There are a few more listed below. I love the fluted edge.
Lemon Breakfast Bread Recipe
The Best Lemon Breakfast Bread
This Lemon Breakfast Bread is gluten-free and dairy-free.
The raspberry swirl is such a nice surprise to this wonderful lemon bread.
- 2 TBL Meyer lemon zest
- 2 ¼ cups Measure for Measure Gluten Free Flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cup organic turbinado sugar
- ¾ cup or stick and a half of Plant-Based Butter (softened)
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup almond milk (or any milk alternative)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Raspberry Swirl
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 1 TBL organic turbinado sugar
- Glaze (optional, omit if you don’t want the extra sugar)
- 6 TBL Meyer lemon juice
- 6 TBL powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and softened butter. I used a wooden spoon and pastry blender for this, you can also use a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- In a separate small bowl, beat eggs lightly with fork. Add milk and whisk until combined.
- Pour egg and milk mixture into the larger bowl with flour mixture and mix until combined. Once combined, add the lemon juice to the mixture.
- Pour the combined mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- While the bread is baking, in a small saucepan, mix together, over low heat the raspberries and sugar. Mix over heat until sugar melts. Using a wooden spoon, smash the raspberries. Mix together until the mixture is combined and syrupy.
- Take bread out of oven at the 20 minute mark. Using a knife, carefully carve an S into the loaf, pushing the knife about ¾ way through the batter. Follow with a spoon, spooning the raspberry mixture into the S carved the loaf. The batter will still be very soft inside and will envelope the raspberry mixture as it continues to cook. The reason you do this at the 20 minute mark is because you want the batter to set up a little bit so that the raspberry swirl is distinct in the bread.
- Continue baking the loaf for another 40 minutes or so, until a toothpick comes out clean. I used the convection feature on my oven, so your timing may be different.
- Once the loaf is fully baked and toothpick comes out clean, remove from oven and move to wire rack to cool.
- While the loaf is cooling, in a small saucepan, over low heat, mix together the lemon juice and sugar to make the glaze. Mix over heat until the mixture is syrup consistency, adding more sugar if necessary.
- Once cooled, carefully remove the loaf from the pan.
- Drizzle the loaf with the lemon juice glaze.
- Cut loaf into approximately 1” wide pieces and serve with coffee, tea, juice or simply pop into your mouth as you stand in your kitchen, the calories don’t count this way!
If you don't want the dairy-free and gluten-free version, just replace the gluten free items and plant butter with the ingredients you want. Just use the same amounts as listed in the recipe. Also, you can use regular lemons if you don't have Meyer lemons.
More Breakfast Bread Recipes
I have a few more breakfast bread recipes that I would like to share. They are all so delicious!
Strawberry Gluten Free Muffin Recipe
I decided to modify my Strawberry Muffin Recipe and make it gluten-free and more healthy. These are delicious,
- Strawberry Muffins
- • 3 cups 1:1 gluten-free flour
- • 1 cup coconut sugar (or 1/2 cane sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar)
- • 2 tsp baking soda
- • 1/4 tsp baking powder
- • 1/2 tsp salt
- • ½ cup cream of coconut
- • 1/2 cup almond milk
- • 1/3 cup coconut oil
- • 2 eggs (or plant JUST egg)
- • ½ cup dairy-free plain or vanilla yogurt
- • 2 tsp vanilla extract
- • 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- Crumb Topping
- • 6 Tbsp plant-based butter, melted
- • 1/2 cup coconut (or brown) sugar
- • 3/4 cup flour
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and either grease a muffin tin or line with muffin cups. If using paper muffin cups, place them on a cookie sheet.
2. In a bowl, mix flour, coconut sugar, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the cream of coconut, Almond milk, coconut oil, and eggs. Mix until batter is just combined. Add to dry ingredients.
4. Add in yogurt and vanilla extract.
5. Add in strawberries, and mix.
6. Fill muffin cups about 2/3 of the way full with the strawberry muffin batter. Set aside.
7. In a separate bowl, mix flour and brown sugar together. Add the melted butter and mix together until crumbs form.
8. Sprinkle crumbs on top of each muffin.
- 9. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until muffins are just golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
If you need a substitute for coconut cream you can use (per cup needed):
Combine 1 cup light cream with 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract OR - Use 1 cup cream (lacks coconut flavor)
Best Breakfast Orange Knots
These are the easiest and most delicious breakfast bread ever!
- 1 16 oz. can refrigerated biscuits
- 3 TBL butter, melted
- 2 TBL granulated sugar
- 1 TBL orange zest
- 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 TBL orange juice
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix granulated
sugar and 1 TBL of orange zest together in a shallow bowl.
- Cut each biscuit in half and roll each biscuit into a rope. Tie
each rope in a loose knot. Tuck the ends underneath the knot. Place on
parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Brush tops of knots with melted butter. Dip buttered tops in
orange sugar mixture.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Watch carefully so the sugar doesn’t
- While knots are baking, make the orange glaze.
- Mix powdered sugar, orange juice, and remaining orange zest
- Brush knots with orange glaze while they are still warm.
- Let cool for about 2-3 minutes. Serve.
You can store Orange Knots in an airtight container and
serve the next day. They are best warmed in the microwave for about 10-15
Gluten Free Sourdough Banana Bread Recipe
This is the best banana bread I have ever had. The sourdough starter adds a wonderful tanginess to the bread.
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups Gluten-Free Measure to Measure flour
- 1 cup mature sourdough starter
Mash bananas with a fork.
Add sugar, vanilla and slightly beaten egg.
Add melted buttermilk and milk.
In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture. Mix well. Add in the sourdough starter.
Spray a bread pan with cooking spray and fill with the bread mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. Insert a wooden stick into the bough to test for doneness. If necessary, cook a little longer.
The Best Apple Bread Recipe
This is an incredible bread recipe. It's so moist!
- Brown Sugar Topping
- 5 tbl sugar
- 5 tbl brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Apple Bread
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups peeled, chopped apples
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. This recipe makes two small loaves or one large loaf of apple bread.
Lightly spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
Make the brown sugar topping - in a small bowl, combine the sugar, brown sugar, and flour. Melt the butter and stir until it’s combined. Set aside.
In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, and melted butter until well combined. Add the buttermilk and vanilla and whisk until combined. Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined. Fold in the chopped apples.
Scoop the batter into the prepared loaf pan, smoothing the top. Sprinkle the brown sugar topping on the batter, pressing it lightly into the batter.
Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool completely in the loaf pan.
Mother's Day Brunch Muffins
I love this recipe because you can make four different types of muffins with one recipe.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 4 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 TBL. cold butter
- Flavorings for muffins:
- Blueberry Lemon Muffins - 3/4 cups fresh blueberries, 1 tsp grated lemon rind, and 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Raspberry Orange Muffins - 3/4 cups raspberries, 1 tsp grated orange rind, and 1 tsp. orange juice
- Banana Muffins - Two very ripe bananas
- Cinnamon Muffins - one tsp cinnamon
- Lemon Poppyseed - 1 tsp grated lemon rind, and 1 tsp. lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. poppyseeds
- Preheat oven to 400° and either grease muffin tins or use paper cups or fluted muffin cups.
- Using the two bowl method, place the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt) in one bowl and mix. Place the liquid ingredients (egg, milk, and oil) in another bowl.
- Combine both and stir until lumpy.
- Divide the batter evenly and put in four small bowls.
- Add the ingredients to make four different flavors of muffins.
- Make the brown sugar topping. Add brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut the cold butter into tiny pieces and using a fork, mix together.
- Sprinkle a light amount of topping on top of each muffin.
- Place dough in muffin tins and bake 18 - 20 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are so many things you can do with lemons! Put them in your water and drink them first thing when you wake up. Add lemons to cake mix, frosting, scones, bread, muffins, and just about any baked bread. Squeeze the juice into ice cube trays, or Ziploc bags, and freeze the juice. Add lemon and garlic to the mayonnaise to make the best aioli ever! My favorite is this lemon bread recipe!
Absolutely. Don’t add the glaze until after you freeze and thaw it. Just wrap it in foil and place it in a Ziploc bag. It should store very well for up to three months.
Links to the Items Shown in This Post
Pin the image below to your decor boards on Pinterest (just click the Pin button in the top left corner). You can also follow along with me on Pinterest!
For more real-time updates, follow me on Instagram @My100YearOldHome
This bread looks and sounds delicious. I absolutely love the flavor of fresh lemon. And raspberry. And both of them together! Excuse me for a moment while I go start baking EVERYTHING!