Have you ever wondered what is the best way to wash slipcovers? Today I am sharing how I wash our IKEA slipcovers. This method works every time.
One of the questions I get asked most frequently is, “How do you keep your white slipcovers clean?”. I think most people think I own white slipcovers because our boys are grown and that’s how they stay clean. But look at the photo above! I have a great method I use to wash Ikea slipcovers and I can not wait to share it with you.
Have you ever wondered about slipcovers vs. upholstery? Read how I compare the two in my blog post, Slipcovers or Upholstery?
It doesn’t matter how old your kids are. Or how many pets you have. Keeping white slipcovers looking nice is easy. You just need to wash them. If you look closely at these photos, check out all of the spots!
I have to admit, it has been a while since I cleaned our slipcovers at the beach house. With my broken foot, it just wasn’t a priority. But let me share with you how easy it is to wash Ikea slipcovers. Or any slipcovers for that matter!
There are a lot of questions about washing slipcovers.
Can I wash my sofa covers in the washing machine?
It depends on the fabric. Read the care label first before you throw the slipcovers on the machine. If you aren’t sure about the durability of washing, you can always have them drycleaned. Otherwise, wash the slipcover on a gentle cycle in cold water with a mild detergent.
Are Pottery Barn Slipcovers Washable?
How often should you wash slipcovers?
How to Wash Ikea Extorp Slipcovers
The steps are so easy to wash slipcovers.
- Take off all of the slipcovers.
- Spray every stain you can find with Resolve. I usually use an entire bottle each time I wash our slipcovers.
- Place in the washing machine. To wash the IKEA Ektorp sectional, I run two loads. One with the cushion slipcovers and another one with the couch cover.
- Add one large scoop of Oxyclean and one Tide (or any laundry soap) tablet.
- Change the setting to reflect HOT wash cycle and run the full cycle.
- Take the slipcovers out and don’t dry them. I know that some people dry them but I like my slipcovers loose fitting and I don’t want to take the chance they will shrink. Normally I hang them but I couldn’t find my clothesline! So I laid them out on towels on the ping pong table in our garage. Usually, I let them hang dry overnight.
Don’t let them try completely. When they are a tiny bit damp to the touch, go ahead and put them back on the sofa and cushions. Look how much better they look!
The key to washing slipcovers is using both the Resolve and the Oxyclean. For some reason, the combination works really well together.
I can honestly say that there is not one spot anywhere on the entire slipcover!
And by the way, my slipcovers are almost five years old. My sectional is the IKEA Extorp with the white cover. I just love how they look brand new every time I clean them.
I get a lot of inquiries about why we have so much neutral (aka white) furniture in our homes. It’s because neutral furniture allows you the flexibility to decorate however you want. You can read more about that here.