Have you ever wondered how to clean slipcovers? Today I am sharing how I wash our IKEA slipcovers. This method works every time.
One of the questions I get asked most frequently is, “How do you keep your white slipcovers clean?”. I think most people think I own white slipcovers because our boys are grown and that’s how they stay clean. But look at the photo above! I have a great method I use to wash Ikea slipcovers and I can not wait to share it with you.
This post is the third of a three-part blog post series about slipcovers. If you are just starting here, don’t forget to read the other posts.
It doesn’t matter how old your kids are. Or how many pets you have. Keeping white slipcovers looking nice is easier than you think. You just need to wash them. If you look closely at these photos, check out all of the stains!
I will be honest. Usually, our slipcovers look much worse. Especially here at the beach. To help protect our slipcovers, I usually put a vintage quilt on the couch where our dog Sport jumps up and sleeps. Why? Because Sport is often sandy and wet and well, it’s just much easier that way!
Let me share with you how easy it is to wash Ikea slipcovers. Or any slipcovers for that matter!
Let’s start answering a few of the most common questions I get about washing slipcovers.
How Often do I Wash my Slipcovers?
I know that laundering slipcovers can wear them down a bit so I probably only wash my slipcovers twice a year. I keep a bottle of resolve on hand and use it to spot clean the cushions. If one cushion gets a stain I may often just wash the one cushion slipcover. I can also flip them and hide the stains and then wash them all at once.
Can I wash my sofa covers in the washing machine?
It depends on the fabric. Read the care label first before you throw the slipcovers on the machine. If you aren’t sure about the durability of washing, you can always have them drycleaned. Otherwise, wash the slipcover on a gentle cycle in cold water with a mild detergent.
Are Pottery Barn Slipcovers Washable?
According to Pottery Barn, the Slipcover Care is:
Machine wash cold, gentle cycle with like colors, only non-chlorine bleach when needed. Tumble dry low. Warm iron as needed, or spot clean with a damp white cloth. Remove promptly to reduce wrinkling and stretch slipcover back on frame and/or cushion(s) to complete drying.
How to Wash Ikea Extorp Slipcovers
The steps are so easy to wash slipcovers.
- Take off all of the slipcovers.
- Spray every stain you can find with Resolve. I usually use an entire bottle each time I wash our slipcovers.
- Place in the washing machine. To wash the IKEA Ektorp sectional, I run two loads. One with the cushion slipcovers and another one with the couch cover.
- Add one large scoop of Oxyclean and one Tide (or any laundry soap) tablet.
- Change the setting to reflect HOT wash cycle and run the full cycle. (If you aren’t using IKEA slipcovers, and you don’t know if your slipcovers were pre-washed, USE COLD WATER.)
- Take the slipcovers out and don’t dry them. I know that some people dry them but I like my slipcovers loose fitting and I don’t want to take any chances that they will shrink. Normally I hang them but I couldn’t find my clothesline! So I laid them out on towels on the ping pong table in our garage. Usually, I let them hang dry overnight.
Don’t let them try completely. When they are a tiny bit damp to the touch, go ahead and put them back on the sofa and cushions. Look how much better they look!
The key to washing slipcovers is using both the Resolve and the Oxyclean. For some reason, the combination works really well together.
I can honestly say that there is not one spot anywhere on the entire slipcover!
And by the way, my slipcovers are almost five years old. My sectional is the IKEA Extorp with a white cover. I just love how they look brand new every time I clean them.
I get a lot of inquiries about why we have so much neutral (aka white) furniture in our homes. It’s because neutral furniture allows you the flexibility to decorate however you want. You can read more about that here.
Links to Items Similar to This Post
The first row shares available slipcovers for the EKTORP tow and three-seat sofa, the two-seat sofa bed, and the sectional. They all come in assorted colors.
Pin the image below to your decor boards on Pinterest (just click the Pin button in the top left corner). You can also follow along with me on Pinterest!