One of the questions I get asked most frequently is, “How do you keep your white slipcovers clean?”. I think most people think I own white slipcovers because our boys are grown and that’s how they stay clean. But look at the photo above!
It doesn’t matter how old your kids are. Or how many pets you have. Keeping white slipcovers clean is easy. You just need to wash them. If you look closely at these photos, check out all of the spots!
I have to admit, it has been a while since I cleaned our slipcovers at the beach house. With my broken foot, it just wasn’t a priority. But let me share with you how easy it is!
These are the only products you need.
The steps are so easy.
- Take off all of the slipcovers.
- Spray every stain you can find with Resolve. I usually use an entire bottle per cleaning.
- Place in the washing machine. For the IKEA Ektorp sectional, I run two loads. One with the cushion slipcovers and another one with the couch cover.
- Add one large scoop of Oxyclean and one Tide (or any laundry soap) tablet.
- Change the setting to reflect HOT wash cycle and run the full cycle.
- Take the slipcovers out and don’t dry them. I know that some people dry them but I like my slipcovers loose fitting and I don’t want to take the chance they will shrink. Normally I hang them but I couldn’t find my clothesline! So I laid them out on towels on the ping pong table in our garage.
Once they are almost dry, go ahead and put them back on the sofa and cushions. Usually, I let them hang dry over night. Look how much better they look!
I can honestly say that there is not one spot anywhere on the entire slipcover!
And by the way, my slipcovers are almost five years old. My sectional is the IKEA Extorp with the white cover. I just love how they look brand new every time I clean them.