Happy Birthday to My White Farmhouse Kitchen
Twenty-three years ago today we finished the remodel of our white farmhouse kitchen. Don’t you think she looks pretty good at age 23?
I did some rough calculations and estimated that in the last 23 years, I have cooked dinner in this kitchen almost 5,000 times. No wonder I am always looking for new weekday dinner ideas! I also estimated I have cooked in our kitchen about 500 times for entertaining and parties. Sometimes it was a small dinner party for four or ten, and twenty-two times it was a holiday party for over 200.
All About Our White Farmhouse Kitchen
Obviously, we have a well and often-used kitchen.
I am surprised at how good she looks!
I get asked all of the time why I designed a white farmhouse kitchen. If anything, I think a white kitchen is a safe choice.
Twenty-three years ago when I picked this style, the “popular kitchens” had dark brown cabinets with dark green granite. They were so popular!
But I held firm because I wanted a classic white farmhouse kitchen that could have been built in our house over 100 years ago.
On this blog, I may sometimes use affiliate links, which means a small commission is earned if you purchase via the link. The price will be the same whether you use the affiliate link or go directly to the vendor’s website using a non-affiliate link.
Remodeling our kitchen was a big project, but it was worth it to create a space that we love to spend time in.
I chose a farmhouse-style kitchen, with white cabinets, a white farmhouse kitchen island with a butcher block top, and a white tile backsplash. We also added a white farmhouse sink and hardwood floors that matched the rest of the house.
The kitchen is open to the family room, which makes it feel larger and more inviting. We love to cook and entertain in this space, and it’s the perfect place to gather with family and friends.
The windows are original and the cabinets and island were all custom-made. All of the cabinets and trim are painted Dunn Edwards Swiss Coffee. The walls are painted with Farrow and Ball Cooking Apple Green paint.
We have two sinks and the large farmhouse sink is located on the back wall which overlooks our backyard. The. countertops are honed marble and the drawer pulls and knobs are from Amazon. The floors are oak and were stained to match the rest of our floors.
So what has changed in our kitchen over the last twenty years? Practically nothing.
What We Love Most About Our Kitchen
- The white cabinets make the kitchen feel bright and airy. Since we are a really tall family (our sons are 6’7″, 6’6″, and 6’5″ tall), all of the lower cabinets are 38″ tall, which is 2″ taller than normal.
- Our butcher block island is the perfect place to prep food, cook meals, or gather with friends. It has a pull-out trash receptacle in the center of the island which is so important!
- The white kitchen backsplash adds a touch of elegance to the space. And the subway tile was so inexpensive!
- We have two sinks and two dishwashers which allow for more cooks and more space for helpers to clean up!
We’ve made a few changes to the kitchen over the years, but we’ve always stayed true to its original style.
Farmhouse Kitchen Island
Our farmhouse kitchen island is one of the most important pieces of furniture in our kitchen. It’s the perfect place to prep food, cook meals, or gather with friends.
We chose a white kitchen island because it goes with the rest of the kitchen décor. We also like that it has plenty of storage space and a great seating area.
White Kitchen Sink
Our white kitchen sink is the perfect finishing touch for our kitchen. It’s easy to clean and looks great.
We chose a white farm sink because it is larger in size which accommodates how often we entertain. We also like that it’s durable and can withstand everyday use. (Remember those 5000 dinners?)
I know I don’t share this sink very often as the other sink is usually in all of my photographs! But this is the sink we normally use all day long!
Farmhouse Kitchen Decor
Sometimes white kitchens can feel a bit stark. I like to use color and a variety of farmhouse kitchen decor items to add some personality to our kitchen. Typically I change these items every season.
There are numerous items you can use as decor in a white kitchen to add personality, style, and visual interest. Here are some suggestions:
- Colorful or patterned dishes: Display vibrant dinnerware sets, plates, bowls, or mugs on open shelving or in glass-front cabinets. These can add pops of color and break up the white space.
- Plants and flowers: Greenery can bring life and freshness to a white kitchen. Consider placing potted plants or fresh flowers on countertops, windowsills, or floating shelves. Herbs like basil, mint, or rosemary can be grown in small pots on the windowsill, serving a dual purpose of decor and culinary use.
- Artwork or prints: Hang framed artwork or prints on the walls to add visual interest. You can choose pieces that complement the white color scheme or go for bold and contrasting colors to make a statement.
- Decorative glassware: Display glassware such as colorful glasses, vases, decorative bottles, or glass jars filled with spices, pasta, or colorful candies. They can add visual texture and serve a practical purpose as well.
- Textiles: Incorporate textiles like patterned dish towels, placemats, or decorative curtains to introduce different textures and colors. These items can be changed seasonally to keep the decor fresh and interesting.
- Statement lighting: Install eye-catching pendant lights or chandeliers above the kitchen island or dining area. Unique lighting fixtures can act as focal points and add a touch of elegance or modernity, depending on the style you prefer.
- Open shelving displays: Utilize open shelves to showcase your favorite kitchen items. Arrange cookbooks, decorative bowls, glassware, or stylish kitchen gadgets in an organized and visually appealing manner. I have open kitchen shelves in our Waco house and beach house.
Remember, the goal is to strike a balance between the white elements and the decor items to create a cohesive and visually pleasing aesthetic in your white kitchen.
Here are some additional tips for decorating a white kitchen:
- Use a variety of textures to add interest and depth to the space. For example, you could pair smooth white cabinets with a textured backsplash or countertops.
- Don’t be afraid to use color in moderation. A pop of color can add a lot of personality to a white kitchen without being overwhelming. I painted our kitchen apple green to add a pop of color.
- Keep the overall look and feel of your kitchen simple and uncluttered. Too much furniture or accessories can make a white kitchen feel cramped and busy.
With a little planning and creativity, you can create a white kitchen that is both stylish and functional.
We love our farmhouse kitchen, and we’re so glad we decided to remodel it 23 years ago. It’s the perfect place to cook, entertain, and gather with family and friends. We’re so happy with how the kitchen turned out, and we can’t wait to spend another 23 years cooking and entertaining in this space.
I hope these tips help you create the perfect farmhouse kitchen for your home.
If you are enjoying my blog, you can sign up to receive my blog updates here. .
Watch My Amazon Live
Click here to watch any of my Amazon Live shows. All shows are recorded.
I want to share this show with you, titled Twenty of My Favorite Amazon Items.
Pin the image below to your boards on Pinterest (just click the Pin button in the top left corner). You can also follow along with me on Pinterest!
For more real-time updates, follow me on Instagram @My100YearOldHome
Where is the refrigerator????
Hi Valerie! It’s the wall opposite the range next to the opening to the kitchen 🙏
Love your kitchen! Wondering how your marble has worked for you?
Hi Debbie! The marble is honed and I’ve never had any problems with stains, etc. it still looks as good as it did 23 years ago when I got to move into it!
This will always been my favourite kitchen it always looks so cosy and welcoming❤️
Oh this is so sweet of you to say! Thank you so much. We have really loved it and continue to🙏