DIY Gingerbread House Wood Christmas Ornaments
I love everything gingerbread. I love gingerbread lattes, cookies, and cake. These gingerbread house wood Christmas ornaments are so much fun!
I joined a group of bloggers to make a DIY featuring wood ornaments. I struggled at first trying to decide what kind of ornament to make until I finally decided to make gingerbread wood Christmas ornaments. All I know is that I just wanted to make sure they would last a long time and not ever be eaten!
Wood Christmas Ornaments
Once I decided to make gingerbread house wood Christmas ornaments, I needed to figure out how to make them. I knew I needed to paint the wood cutout houses a darker brown but I wasn’t sure how to add the “icing”.
I decided to use hot glue so I ordered some white-hot glue sticks. It took a bit of practice to get the pressure of the glue gun right and I kept reminding myself the decorating did not need to be perfect.
I am not a professional cookie decorator. So my goal was to decorate them so they looked good and fun. And hopefully that they would look kind of like gingerbread cookies!
The glue ended up looking just like icing so I was thrilled. I did it difficult to make things like flowers and fleurs with the glue gun so I did have to simplify my designs a bit, but I still had a blast decorating my ornaments.
How to Make Gingerbread House Wood Christmas Ornaments
I wanted to keep this DIY simple so I knew I needed to find wood houses that were already cut. When I saw these on Amazon I knew they were exactly what I needed.
Of course, I wished they were more of a gingerbread color, but I realized that problem could easily be fixed. All I needed to do is paint them.
What You Need to Make Gingerbread Wood Christmas Ornaments
On this blog, I may sometimes use affiliate links, which means a small commission is earned if you make a purchase via the link. The price you pay will be the same whether you use the affiliate link or go directly to the vendor’s website using a non-affiliate link.
Easy Instructions to Make Gingerbread House Wood Christmas Ornaments
The wood houses arrived and were a very light wood color. I mixed up some brown paint (and added some white and a little bit of yellow) so that they would look a little bit more like gingerbread.
- one – Paint one side of the houses and then spread them on parchment paper to dry.
- two – Be careful to make sure all of the areas are covered. I had to go back add fill in some of the spots I missed with brown paint!
- three – Let all of the houses dry, which should take about twenty minutes if the room is warm.
- four – Once the houses are dry turn them all over to paint the backside.
- five – Add a coat of paint to the back side of each house. Add a new layer of fresh parchment paper to use to dry the houses.
- six – Let the houses dry on the parchment paper. Wait at least an hour to make sure they are all dry.
- seven – Heat up the glue gun and add your design to each house, using white glue.
- eight – Feel free to add some flair to the houses. As you are pressing out the glue, be sure it rests on the house which will help achieve a more fluid stroke.
- nine – Let the glue dry and then carefully remove the glue strands.
Don’t these look like real gingerbread cookies hanging on our tree?
If you are enjoying my blog, you can sign up to receive my blog updates here. .
Watch My Amazon Live
Click here to watch any of my Amazon Live shows. All shows are recorded.
I want to share this show with you my latest LIVE, titled Holiday Gift Picks in the Kitchen.
I teamed up with some of my favorite bloggers and look at these wonderful homemade ornaments. Just tap any of the links below for the DIY.
Blogger’s Best DIY Ornaments
- Gingerbread Birdhouse DIY Ornament | Zevy Joy
- Make Ornaments Using Recycled Tea Lights | Most Lovely Things
- Gingerbread House Village Snow Globe Ornament | Craftberry Bush
- Anthropologie-Inspired Painted Bouquet Ornaments | Tatertots and Jello
- Yarn Hat Ornaments Using A Toilet Paper Roll | Modern Glam
- DIY Wooden Christmas Tree Ornament | My Sweet Savannah
- DIY Gingerbread House Wood Christmas Ornaments | My 100 Year Old Home
Pin the images below to your boards on Pinterest (just click the Pin button in the top left corner). You can also follow along with me on Pinterest!
For more real-time updates, follow me on Instagram @My100YearOldHome
You are so creative Leslie! I’ve never seen these done before like this. They are perfect! I’m sure it was tedious making the white glue as perfect as you could but they’ve fed up absolutely charming. Not an expensive craft either. Kudos! Happy Holidayscto you and your family
Hi Judy! So fun and festive to make- gingerbread is the best. Oh thanks so much! A very happy holidays to you and yours ♥️🎄
I’m all about anything gingerbread! Thanks for sharing!
Hi Leslie! SAME 😋❤️ So happy you enjoyed it!
Those are so darling Leslie! Before I got that they’re wood, I totally wanted to eat one! 🤣 Thanks for the great tutorial!
Hi Barbara! Right 😆 they do look good enough to eat! So happy you enjoyed, thank you!
Gorgeous, Leslie, and I love that they are so doable! I’d love for you to join us over at the Creative Crafts Linky Party every Wednesday through Sunday