Either way, this weekend did not go well. Just so you know, this is the first time I have decorated my house in a big way for Christmas. In previous years we have purchased a fresh tree, added fresh wreaths in almost every window and a garland on the banister. I used to own only one box of Christmas decor so it was easy to decorate the tree, put up a few Santas, hang the stockings and that was it. Our house was decorated in a few hours.
Maybe I am indecisive. Perhaps I am too freaked out that is has to be perfect. Could it be that I am intimidated? All I know is that it isn’t working. Even my girlfriends came over and tried to help tonight. If anything they proved that it’s just not me! This is really hard.
So I will be back at it tomorrow. And probably the next day. And the next. And even though it is hard, I am enjoying it. I can’t say I am having fun yet but I will get to that point. I am sure of that.
Ok, that was a lie.
I should probably mention I have a magazine shoot here on December 5th so that might be adding to my stress.
But I thought it would be important to share with you a few things that I have learned about why decorating for Christmas is so hard.
- Put all of your decor in one room and then bring in a piece at a time. If you have decor everywhere then your brain can’t be creative.
- Don’t force it. I really wanted to use red in my home and it just didn’t work in the living room, entry or dining room. After spending an entire day of trying to make it work, I took it all out. That made me happier.
- If it is 94 degrees outside while you are decorating for Christmas it will be hot. And even Christmas music in the background doesn’t help.
- Don’t over think things. Figure out where your trees go first and then bring in the little stuff.
- Remember you can return things that you don’t use. I am going to be returning a lot.
- Don’t rush it. You will get it right eventually. It just might take longer than you think.
All of the photos here are works in progress. Some of them have already been redone completely. When I post photos later this week I am pretty sure everything will look very different. But any input would be greatly appreciated.