Beach House Tour and How to Manage a Remodel
I have an updated beach house tour as we are nearing our move-in date! I am also sharing lots of important advice about how to manage a remodel.
There are so many moving pieces during a remodel. I have been through quite a few remodels, so I am sharing some tips that have helped me stay calm during the process. These include how to manage a remodel, how to remain calm, and how to determine if the remodel will increase the value of your home.
An Updated Beach House Tour
The Beach House Tour – The Exterior of the House
The exterior is almost done and we are so happy with how it came out. We used White Dove plaster and it really looks amazing. I still need to pick out some exterior lights and a mailbox and tomorrow they will be pouring concrete for the hardscape on all four sides of the house.
Look at the before and after.
The Family Living Area
Our floors on the entire second floor are done! These are our old floors but we sanded and refinished them and they really look amazing. The color is exactly what I was hoping for!
The family living area has such a different feel due to the higher ceilings, open concept, new kitchen, and cabinets which are such an improvement. Tomorrow they will install all of the appliances in the kitchen.
Can you see how dark the floors use to be?
Beach House Tour and Steps to Manage a Remodel
Managing a remodel can be a complex and time-consuming process, but with the right planning and organization, it can go smoothly.
Here are some steps to help manage a remodel:
- Define the scope of the project: Clearly define what you want to accomplish with the remodel and what specific changes will be made. Even for small projects, it is a good idea to outline exactly what you want to accomplish. It’s easy to get off track in a remodel and defining everything before you get started will not only save headaches but also money. Most subcontractors like to get everything done at once. Adding extras later on will always cost you more.
- Create a budget: Determine how much money you have to spend on the remodel and create a budget that includes all necessary expenses. Always include a contingency line item as very few, if any remodeling projects, come in on budget.
- Hire a contractor: Research and hire a reputable contractor who has experience with the type of remodel you’re planning. If you are doing the work yourself you will save a lot of money. Just be sure to hire experts for items such as electrical.
- Create a schedule: Work with the contractor to create a schedule for the remodel, including a timeline for completion. Don’t forget to include material shipping delays and weather delays. (We had both, even in Southern California!)
- Obtain necessary permits: Make sure that all necessary permits and approvals are obtained before starting the remodel.
- Communicate effectively: Communicate with your contractor and other members of the remodeling team to ensure that everyone is on the same page and that any issues are addressed in a timely manner. This doesn’t just happen at the beginning. Hold weekly progress meetings or calls during the entire project as it ensures accountability for all parties.
- Keep records: Keep detailed records of all expenses and receipts throughout the remodel.
- Supervise the work: Regularly visit the job site to ensure that the work is being done according to the plan and to address any issues that may arise.
- Keep a running list: Use a (punch list) of work that needs to be done.
- Stay flexible: Be prepared to make changes to the plan as necessary and be flexible if unexpected issues arise.
- Keep safety in mind: Make sure that the remodel is being done in a safe manner, and that all workers are taking necessary safety precautions.
By following these steps, you can better manage a remodel and ensure that it is completed on time and within budget.
I may sometimes use affiliate links on this blog, which means a small commission is earned if you make a purchase via the link. The price will be the same whether you use the affiliate link or go directly to the vendor’s website using a non-affiliate link.
Tips to Remain Calm During a Remodel
A house remodel can be a stressful and overwhelming experience, but there are a few ways to remain calm during the process:
- Plan ahead as much as possible before starting the remodel. This will help you feel more in control and prepared for the process. Also, try to order equipment and materials in advance. Windows, doors, and appliances take forever to ship these days.
- Set realistic expectations for the remodel and understand that there may be unexpected challenges or delays.
- Communicate effectively with your contractor and other members of the remodeling team to ensure that everyone is on the same page and that any issues are addressed in a timely manner.
- Keep a list of work to be done and cross things off as you progress. While the list will grow, you will also feel a sense of accomplishment as work is crossed off.
- Take breaks as needed to step away from the remodel and recharge. This can help you stay calm and maintain a positive attitude.
- Practice mindfulness techniques such as meditation or deep breathing to help reduce stress and anxiety.
- Stay organized and keep detailed records of all expenses and receipts throughout the remodel, and keep the worksite tidy. This can help you feel more in control and reduce stress.
- Prioritize your needs and focus on the most important tasks and decisions first.
- Seek support from friends, family, or a therapist to help you cope with the stress of the remodel.
- Make time for yourself, whether it’s reading, exercise, or hobbies. It’s important to take care of yourself during the remodeling process. Keep your sense of humor, it can be a great way to diffuse tension and anxiety.
By following these steps, you can remain calm during a house remodel and enjoy the process, even with its inevitable challenges.
Will Your Remodel Increase the Value of Your Home?
It can be difficult to determine if a remodel will increase the value of a home, as there are many factors that can affect the value of a property. However, there are some general guidelines that can help determine if a remodel will increase the value of a home:
- Location: The location of the home is one of the most important factors that determine the value of a property. Homes in desirable neighborhoods will generally have higher values than those in less desirable areas.
- Market conditions: The current market conditions can also affect the value of a home. A home that is remodeled during a buyer’s market may not see as much of an increase in value as one remodeled during a seller’s market.
- Quality of the remodel: The quality of the remodel is also important. A high-quality remodel with high-end materials and finishes will generally increase the value of a home more than a low-quality remodel.
- Type of remodel: Some types of remodels are more likely to increase the value of a home than others. For example, a kitchen or bathroom remodel will generally have a higher return on investment than a remodel of a less frequently used room such as a home office.
- Trends: Keeping up with the current design and renovation trends can be beneficial in order to increase the value of the home. Some elements that are currently in trend are open floor plans, smart home technology, energy-efficient features, and finishes that are easy to clean and maintain. Just be careful with trends as they can become outdated and also turn away some buyers.
- Home inspection: Before listing the home, it’s a good idea to have a home inspector evaluate the property, this will help you identify any potential issues that need to be addressed before listing the home.
It’s important to remember that there is no guarantee that a remodel will increase the value of a home, but following these guidelines can increase the chances of it happening.
Ultimately, a professional real estate agent or appraiser with knowledge of the local market would be the best resource to get an idea of the potential value increase of a remodel.
If you are enjoying my blog, you can sign up to receive my blog updates here. .
Watch My Amazon Live
Click here to watch any of my Amazon Live shows. All shows are recorded.
I want to share this show with you, titled Remodeling – Home Improvement Items.
Pin the image below to your boards on Pinterest (just click the Pin button in the top left corner). You can also follow along with me on Pinterest!
For more real-time updates, follow me on Instagram @My100YearOldHome
Leslie, the results of your renovation are beautiful. Such wonderful site lines to the waterfront. I can only imagine how lovely the evenings will be on the third floor deck. Look forward to reading about the wonderful times you will share in your beach home with family and friends. Congratulations!
Hi Eileen! We are over the moon and just so excited about it all 🙌🏻 thank you so much!
Wow. Wow. Wow. Such a well thought out, organized and GORGEOUS remodel. But of course, your taste and execution is always impeccable, my f fiend. You have a gift. I wish you many beautiful sunsets and sunrises in your fabulous beach house.
Wow thank you so much Gretchen! We’re thrilled with it 🥰 have a lovely day!
You are using the same line of appliances that I used in my kitchen remodel. You have good taste. 😜 I can’t wait to see the finished product!
Haha love it Jan! We clearly both do 😉♥️
Could you tell me the color used on your walls around your staircase. It is such a beautiful, serene color. Love your home!
Most awesome job 😍…what a difference in the before and after photos. Looking forward to seeing you putting your beautiful decor touches in place. I am enjoying going along for the ride on your remodeling of your beach house.
Oh thank you so much Leslie! We are just so excited about it all 🥰♥️
Love the matte white appliances! Did you match the cabinet color to them? if so, which paint color did you choose?
It will be amazing when you get it finished! Perhaps another great place to rent out for movies???!!
Ah we are so excited- thanks Leslie! Haha yes 🙏
It looks amazing, Leslie. I love all your tips. Can’t wait to see it after you’ve moved back in. Exciting times!!! xo
Hi Juliet! Ah thank you! We can’t wait 🙌🏻🤗