Homemade Marshmallow S’mores with Toasted Coconut
I can’t believe I have never made homemade marshmallows until today. I made these toasted coconut homemade marshmallow s’mores and they are so delicious. In fact, the marshmallows are so easy to make and taste so much better than the store-bought kind, that you have to try this recipe! This recipe is for vanilla marshmallows but please know that you can make peppermint, lemon, strawberry, Nutella, and chocolate marshmallows … to name a few. The flavors are endless!
Today I have teamed up with seven other bloggers to share some really fun s’mores recipes. Be sure to check all of them out at the bottom of this blog post.
It took me about thirty minutes to make the marshmallows, followed by about two hours in the refrigerator to set. Cutting them was a bit tricky but I figured them out. I then toasted the coconut and assembled the s’mores. The last step is putting the s’more in the broiler to melt the marshmallow and chocolate. The taste is amazing!
What You Need to Make Homemade Marshmallow S’Mores
Light Corn Syrup
One of the most important things you need to know about these marshmallows is that they are really sticky! Use cooking spray and plastic gloves. Spray every surface the marshmallow mixtures touches, including the plastic wrap! The photo below is an example of how you prepare the 7″ square pan for the marshmallows.
The recipe calls for about twelve minutes of mixing and the temperature of the mixture is quite hot. If you have a stand-up mixer be sire to sue it. If not, be prepared and wear a hot mitt. And set aside 12 minutes to finish the marshmallow mixture.
It’s not hard to toast coconut. Place the coconut on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Broil for a few minutes but watch the coconut at all times. Otherwise, it will probably burn!
Homemade Peppermint Swirl Marshmallows
Toasted coconut homemade marshmallows s'mores
- 1/2 cups cold water
- 3 packets of gelatin (.75 oz.)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 TBL vanilla
- powdered sugar
- 18 graham crackers
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 3 Chocolate bars
- Prepare a 7" x 7" baking pan by lining bottom and edges of the pan with saran wrap. Spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place 1/2 cup water in the bowl of a stand-up mixer and sprinkle gelatin on top. Let sit while cooking sugar mixture.
- In a small saucepan combine sugar, light corn syrup, and 1/4 cup water. stir until mixed well. Heat until sugar starts to boil and continue to boil for one minute. Remove from stove.
- Add sugar mixture to gelatin and add salt. Turn on the mixer and mix for 12 - 13 minutes until sugar is barely warm and thick. Add vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Put on gloves and spray with cooking spray. Transfer marshmallow mixture into prepared pan. Flatten the top with your fingers and place plastic on top (after covering side with cooking spray).
- Place in refrigerator until set, about 90 minutes.
- Place one and a half cups of shredded coconut on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. Broil for less than two minutes until golden brown. Set aside.
- When set, take marshmallow out of the pan by gently lifting plastic wrap. Cut marshmallows with a long skinny knife, dipping into powdered sugar to prevent sticking. Cut into pieces.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut on top of marshmallows.
- Build s'mores with graham cracker, chocolate, and marshmallow. Place in a warm oven or under the broiler for two to four minutes until marshmallow and chocolate begin to melt. Top with graham cracker and serve.
I am so excited to share more S’mores recipes with you. My favorite blogger friends and I have joined together for some really creative ideas and recipes. Be sure to check these out!
S’mores Recipe | Happy Happy Nester
Janine from Happy Happy Nester made these fabulous S’mores in a Jar. You have to check out her recipe!
S’mores Skillet Cookie | Modern Glam
I have had s’mores in a skillet before and they are amazing! Ashley from Modern Glam has a fabulous recipe for s’mores in a skillet.
Nutella S’mores | The Happy Housie
Krista from The Happy Housie shared two recipes for Nutella S’mores on her blog today. How amazing does that sound?
S’mores Recipe | Twelve on Main
A peanut butter Ritz cracker recipe sounds amazing to me! I will be trying this recipe by Twelve on Main for sure.
Gourmet Campfire S’mores | Sanctuary Home Decor
These truly are gourmet campfire s’mores and I absolutely love this idea from Sanctuary Home Decor.
S’mores Ice Cream | Finding Lovely
Obviously, my friend Jackie at Finding Lovely is brilliant. This ice cream cone s’mores theme is just brilliant.
S’mores Cookies | Inspiration for Moms
These gooey s’mores cookies look so delicious. Yum! Head on over to Inspiration for Moms now for the recipe.
Pin the images below to your Recipe boards on Pinterest (just click the Pin button in the top left corner). You can also follow along with me on Pinterest!
This is great and I’ve read homemade marshmallows are the best.
Thanks for sharing. Pinning for future use.
Oh my goodness Leslie! I love the idea of making a homemade version. How delicious and fun.
Those look SO delicious! I love the big cubes to death – I almost hate to melt them! These are definitely coming out for the next summer party. All the other recipes look fabulous too – off to check them all out. Thanks Leslie!
These look too delicious not to try to make them! Is this year the 100th Anniversary for Kitchen Aid mixers?