This is part two of my story about creating a magical engagement party. Click to read part one, which is titled “How to Plan the Party of Your Dreams“. Today I am going to share how I built an outdoor dining room for sixty-five guests.
Once the invitations were sent out for the engagement party and the responses were coming in, I needed to figure out a way to create a special area for dining. The weather is great in Southern California so I knew the party was going to be outside. August can be hot but I knew our backyard would be shaded by 6:00 pm. It’s important to take things like this into consideration when planning a party.
I immediately reached out to my friend Lorzel at Barn House Chicks Market to see if she could help me find more vintage porch posts. I had already purchased four from her earlier this year but knew I needed more. In true fashion, Lorzel found four more posts for me!
As you can see, two of the posts were black so I mixed up some Sweet Cream Old Barn milk paint and painted the two posts white. They came out great. Even nice and chippy!
Next, I made a trip to Home Depot and bought lumber and hardware to “build my room”. I wanted to build an all white frame because I wasn’t planning on covering the frame with any greenery. So I knew I had to paint all of the boards white. I decided this was the perfect time to try out my new HomeRight Pro paint sprayer.
All I can say is, thank you HomeRight! It was over 100 degrees outside and the sprayer allowed me to paint the boards in no time at all. I was giddy because it took so little time! I can’t wait to use my sprayer again.
Click here to learn more about the HomeRight paint sprayer.
And so the DIWO began. As my son Michael said the last time we did something like this, “Mom. this is not a DIY. It’s a DIWO … do it with others.”
We couldn’t actually measure how to build our “room” until the rental table and chairs were delivered. That’s because I wanted to measure to make sure we had enough room all the way around for our guests to be comfortable. So Thursday morning, as soon as the tables and chairs arrived, we set everything up and determined the size we needed for the frame.
The last time I used these posts I figured out a way to secure them into the ground. Each post has a hole through the center of it. So we pounded two metal stakes in the grass where the post needed to go and then lifted the post on top of the stakes.
The posts were pretty secure upright with just the stakes. I knew once the wood frame was attached on top they would be very secure.
Michael and his girlfriend Haley were awesome and really helped with this project. Within a few hours, we had the structure built.
Nect, we started to add the lights and trouble ensued. All of my perfectly upright and straight posts started to sag toward the middle! I didn’t panic. Instead, Michael tied some strong twine from the posts out to the trees which pulled the posts back up straighter. Not straight, but straighter. And I was fine with that.
Our room was built and it looked fabulous. All it needed was decor.
Join me on my blog tomorrow as I share where I found my decor. This includes tablecloths, centerpieces, florals, lanterns, Polaroid photos and more! And since I am basically cheap, I think you will like the prices too.